And Now for Something Completely Different!

Posted on Updated on

This month’s challenge from The Monthly Stitch is totally different than the normal challenges, because the article in question this time around is to be Menswear &/or Childrenswear. Not a typical focus, as most (if not all) the participants are adult females.

I really wanted to make this adorable little girl’s winter coat, but as I don’t have any little girls as of current, I decided I couldn’t justify making a stunning wool coat just yet.

Baby clothes, however, are always good to have on hand, especially with my circle of acquaintances starting families. I have a good number of patterns for little kids clothes and am always looking for an excuse to make something adorable. I have a very special project in mind for when my husband and I start our own family, but for now I just have to sit on that project.

So for this month’s challenge I am making a pair of little boy’s overalls.

I have a very old pattern that I inherited that is perfect to quench my baby-clothes fever! I even had a blue linen fabric that it perfect for this project!

So, I set about cutting out the pieces. I went with a size medium, the biggest that the pattern offered. I chose the medium because patterns this small are done by weight and length and with my husband being a rather large baby at 9 pounds 2 oz and myself being a long baby at 21″, I wanted to be sure any future son of ours would fit in them. The medium is for weight 18-22 pounds and 26 1/2-28 inches long, so I figure that is a good size to grow in to.

I started by cutting the fabric out. It was only a few pieces – 6 in total – two front panels, two back panels, and two straps. Then six pieces of facing needed to be cut from iron-on interfacing. After those were traced, cut out and ironed on, the front and back panels were attached to each other, creating the two body pieces for the overalls.

Next, I sewed the front and back pieces together at the sides, making the body of the overalls. After sewing the body together, I hemmed the bottom edges and sewed a snap tape to the crotch closure.

After that, I made the straps and sewed them in place. I also ironed down the front facing and prepped the edge bindings. After making the binding, I pinned it into place. First, I sewed it in place with my machine, then finished it by hand.

Next came the side snaps. The directions said to put button holes in here, but I thought about ease of removal and figured snaps would be faster and easier to use when dressing and undressing a squirming toddler.

Last to do were the buttons and button holes for the shoulder straps. These were a piece of cake!

And there you have it! A completed set of overalls for Little Boy Blue 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s