Month: August 2014

Little Girl’s Dress from Daddy’s Shirt

Posted on Updated on

If you are on Pinterest I am sure you have seen this adorable up-cycle:

I do not have a little girl yet but I love the idea of this project, and I have inherited a few of my husband’s old button downs and have been dying to do something with them.

Now, as I do not have a wee one’s dress to use as a pattern, I am pretty much winging it here.

Remember to BE CAREFUL when removing the pocket because you can put a hole in the shirt (like I did).

I drew out the silhouette of the dress then pinned on the inside of the line and cut along the lines I had drawn.

With right sides of the little dress together, pin the sides, remember to leave the openings for the arms and the neck.

After sewing up the edges I discovered that I had not made the arms wide enough.

My solution: made the dress sleeveless.

I dug thru my patterns and found the front piece to a toddlers bubble onesie.

I laid the pattern on the dress and traced the arm and should edges with my white fabric pencil. Then I cut along those lines.

To finish the neck and arm hole edges, I grabbed white single fold bias tape and ironed it open, then in half. I pinned this to the edges on the arms and neck – right sides together.

I sewed the bias tape on and then finished it by hand.

Now I have a very cute summer dress for my future little girl 🙂

Baby Girl Bubble Onesie

Posted on Updated on

I have been on a baby clothes kick recently. While my husband and I currently do not have any kids, I still love making these little outfits!

This project was a simple one, and a great use of left over fabric from a seersucker sundress that I made for myself recently.

This project used snap tape, which I have actually never used before.

There was a lot of handwork for this outfit. The bias tape on the neck and arms needed to be hand sewn, and the elastic for the legs needed to be threaded by hand.

 

 

All in all, this is a cute simple outfit for a summers day.

An Innisfree Moment

Posted on Updated on

My friends at Bowker House Photography have earned their first published editorial this week for the amazing work they do. I was lucky enough to be involved with this particular project, not only as the model but also as the stylist, featuring this dress and mask from my Exalted Tailor Originals line.

Check out An Innisfree Moment at Quixotte.

Back to Basics: A Cross Stitch Completion

Posted on Updated on

So much progress has been made on my cross stitch project. I actually was able to finish it recently! Here is a slide show of the progress, including the final framing below 🙂

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Everyday French Seams

Posted on

Check out My Empty Wardrobe’s blog for a French Seam How To

My Empty Wardrobe

Normally, we think of French seams as a technique to use with sheer fabrics. However, because I like the clean interior finish of a French seam, I do a modified French seam wherever I can on a wide range of light woven fabrics, sheer or not. My modified version of the French seam accounts for the standard 5/8″ seam allowance in commercial patterns, and ends up around a quarter inch wide instead of the 1/8″ or narrower seam we would hope to achieve on a sheer fabric. Here’s how I do it.

Step One.

With wrong sides together, stitch a 3/8″ seam.

006

Step Two.

Trim the seam to about half its width (so between an eighth and a quarter inch).

007

Here’s a view of the trimming without the scissors in the way.

008

Step Three.

Press this seam three times.

First, press it flat to set the stitches. (Because we…

View original post 355 more words

Completing the Up-cycle: A Skirt

Posted on Updated on

Some of my followers who have been around for a while might remember when I up-cycled a maxi dress into a mini dress and promised to make the rest a skirt.  Well, that moment has come!

Here is the up-cycled skirt process:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I took the left over skirt that I cut off the maxi dress and put it on inside out. From there I pinned the sides, much like I did when I took my pants in a few weeks ago. Once pinned I sewed the sides up like a dart using a zig-zag stitch to accommodate the stretch in the fabric. I then trimmed the excess and folded the top over and ran a zig-zag hem around the top.

Tada! Super easy skirt from dress scraps!