Let’s get down to business …
First, I removed the offending wings, and bought some lovely black lace. I thought ahead, knowing that lace is a pain to hem, and that it makes unsightly seams, so I got scalloped lace! No hemming required!
Next, I dug through my patterns. I was on the phone with my mother trying to figure out how to make this work when I stumbled across the perfect pattern (McCalls 2401)
It was perfect!
Of course my luck could not be that good. I claimed the only Casa Black Lace with scalloped edges in the whole store, which amounted to only a yard and 15 inches but I needed 2 yards to make this work. I was convinced that I would have to call a different store the next morning to see if they have any more so I could make the sleeves to complete the dress. This phone call was going to determine if I would be able to complete and wear this dress to my brother-in-law’s wedding rehearsal May 16th or if it will have to wait until my cousin’s wedding in October for its debut.
I am happy to report that I had just enough to make elbow length sleeves!
Originally, I had wanted the sleeves to be full length, hence the need for more fabric. I was able to finagle elbow length sleeves, and in all honesty, I think this length looks far better on the dress than the full length would have.
After sewing the sleeves on to the lace dress, I played around with it to make sure that I had it how I wanted it. In the end I stayed the course and kept the over dress as originally designed.
The last picture is the completed dress. I hope to post pictures of me from the rehearsal soon.