Month: April 2014

Sizing up a skirt and other errors

Posted on Updated on

As you read in my post last week, I had a bit of a miscalculation in the size of my skirt. I cut an 8 pattern, I should have cut the 8 bodice and the 10 skirt. Personally, that was hard to admit and accept, but to do right by my body and make myself look great and not suffer the embarrassment of splitting a seam trying to sit I had to size up the skirt pieces. I admit that I did not size up all the pieces, just the two panels in the back. The decision was part laziness part making sure the skirt still lined up properly in the front. So really, the skirt has been sized up to a 9 and not a proper ten. It is a little snug when I try to sit, but if I hike it just a tad I can sit without discomfort.

After reordering my fabric, for all three layers of the skirt, it arrived and I got down to business.

This part, while annoying due to the duplication of work, went relatively quickly and I made a great deal of progress! I was very happy that it was finally coming together (pun intended). I had sewn the bodice and skirt together and put in the zipper. I was ironing the dress to make the fabric lay flat over the zipper when it happened. I did what I have been warning throughout this project, I melted some of my fabric because the iron had gotten to hot. And of course it was not in a place that I could cover or hide. Nope. It was at the end of the zipper, right on my bum where it couldn’t hide.

There is some debate about whether or not it is as noticeable as I think it is. But it all comes down to, I am wearing this dress, I am wearing it in public, and am presenting it as my creation, I want to present my absolute best. Never mind that I know that boo-boo is there and the fear that someone is going to see it will drive me batty and make me self conscious the whole time! It must be redone.

So now for the pictures of the boo-boo:

And so, as they say, the proof is in the pudding. There was a brief glimmer of hope during the taking of these photos, but alas, no, it must be redone. And I have added hand tacking the fabric around the zipper to my To-Do list, hidden zipper my great-aunt Fanny!

Now, I just need to determine the least invasive way to accomplish this goal. Wish me luck I am running out of time!

A Rehearsal Dress Needs a Skirt

Posted on Updated on

This week I set my sites on making the skirt for my rehearsal dress.

As with the bodice, I had a lot of dots to mark. I will admit that, depending on what I am making, I won’t always mark the dots and squares on my pieces, but because this is a pattern that I have never used before, and the fabric that I am using shows EVERY mistake, I am aiming not to make any. Hence spending so much time on marking the dots.

If you do not know what I am referring to when I say dots please see the below picture.

Another detail that is applied in this skirt is darts. Making darts is very simple!

After sewing the skirt panels together I held it up around myself. In doing so I discovered that the pieces that I had cut out, a size 8, were not large enough 😦   So I need to disassemble the skirt and size it up.

One step forward, two steps back I guess.

The Bodice of a Rehearsal Dress

Posted on Updated on

After cutting out all the pieces for my rehearsal dress, I began the assembly. Today, I completed the first round of bodice assembly.

There were a great number of pieces (23 to be exact) and 6 pieces of boning to be installed. It took me all day.

When making the straps, I needed to turn the tubes right side out. This is how I did it.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Check back for further progress on the rehearsal dress!

Starting a Rehearsal Dress

Posted on Updated on

This begins the making of my rehearsal dress for my brother in law’s spring wedding.

I would like to start with pointing out something that had me very confused. When photographed, the fabric for the body of my dress appears silver. I did some early morning trial photos and was so confused. I thought my camera was somehow on black and white mode. After confirming that it was not, I was faced with the realization that the fabric photographs silver instead of the green that it is.

I decided that since I look good in silver, that it will still look green to the naked eye, but mostly because I did not want to buy MORE fabric, I would use the dark mint/silver fabric.

I lengthened both the bodice pieces and the skirt pieces. I have a long torso and most bodices need to be lengthened to accommodate it. The skirt I decided to lengthen because the slit hit too high for my comfort. I swear dresses today are not made with long body, large bootied women in mind! 😉

There were a great number of pieces to cut out. Fabric, lining, underlining, interfacing. Marking dots, boning, squares for the capelet (which I have been referring to as wings).

Looking forward to assembling this, and hoping that it is not as complicated as the Advanced Vogue pattern claims to be.

Future Projects

Posted on Updated on

Hello all.

Please let me know if there are any projects you would like me to tackle in the future.

Best,

The Exalted Tailor