Month: September 2013

Wall AC Unit cover

Posted on Updated on

Our apartment has two wall AC units. They are lovely in the summer, but now that it is officially fall they are causing cold drafts in our apartment. To save money, and my poor little toesies, I have started to winterize.

First step: Make the unit airtight.

I wrapped the apartment side of the unit with trash bags. This is the front unit in the apartment. The unit has been taped up tightly. I must admit, just doing this has stopped the draft and I am already feeling warmer!

Second Step: Design pattern

Now, as you can see, that plastic wrapped wall unit is rather unattractive. My next step is to measure out the box and determine the size the pieces need to be.

Third Step: Create pattern to use to cut out the pieces.

Supplies:

  • Fleece
  • Paper
  • Pen
  • Tape
  • Scissors
  • Tape Measuring

AC unit 006

Fourth Step: Make a cover for the unit

I sewed the side pieces together first making a tube. I then pinned the tube to the front piece, creating half a box.

I placed the cover over the AC unit to get an idea of how much room I have to work with for the elastic edges. It appears that I have over an inch of room to work with.

Fifth Step: fold edges over to make a casing for the elastic (or tie) that will hold the cover on the AC unit.

Last Step: Put the cover on and enjoy a warmer apartment 🙂

Advertisements

Crisp Fall Air

Posted on Updated on

I love fall. It is my FAVORITE season!! The colors are beautiful, the crisp fall air it wonderful, but the apartment has a thru the wall ac unit is making the apartment VERY cold!

I have scoured the interwebs looking for a pattern for a cover for this unit. Something so common that you would think would have made its way to the internet. While my interweb spiders keep searching I am going to come up with something myself.

Table Linens

Posted on Updated on

We currently have an old red tablecloth that is actually two smaller tablecloths sewn together so it would fit the table. This is fine and dandy when you have to share your apartment with roommates of varying degrees of cleanliness.

table cloth and runner project
Current Red Tablecloth
(Note the seam up the middle)

As a housewarming gift, we received a new tablecloth for our dining room table. It is 60″ x 120″ and has lovely fall colors in it. I have some brown placemats and cloth napkins that actually complement it beautifully.

My plan is to rip out the stitches of the red table cloth and use one to make an accent placemat runners (you know the table runner that goes side to side instead of from head to foot of the table) over the new tablecloth to help tone down the pattern. And of course, new placemats for the head and foot of the table.

Here are my prelim ideas:

I started by cutting one of the two red tablecloths into four equal strips. I hemmed the edges and added it to the table. How lovely!

And now for the two placemats:

table cloth and runner project 019

I also want to make brown placemat runners for our Friendsgiving event in November.  That project to come!

Wedding Kippah: Part 5

Posted on Updated on

I have finally successfully executed a large 6 panel kippah.

My pattern appears to have worked 🙂

Here’s how the 6 panel turned out:

Now, it is up to fiance to pick the one that he likes best. I plan to embroider our names and the wedding date into the inside.

What is your opinion? 4 panel or 6?

Reverse Engineering with Tissue Paper

Posted on

Why hello kids! Today we are going to talk about reverse engineering using tissue paper, or  pattern making.

Step One:

Identify the object you want to reproduce.

 

kippah 009Step Two:

Pin tissue paper to object

Step Three:

Trim tissue paper around the piece you are trying to replicate

Step Four:

Take tissue paper model off and pin to clean tissue paper, then draw around the model at a 1/4 inch to accommodate seam allowances.

kippah 016

 

Step Five:

Unpin tissue paper model and cut out tissue paper pattern.

kippah 018Ta Da!

 

 

Wedding Kippah: Part 4

Posted on Updated on

The wedding kippah saga continues. Here we have attempt number 4. I gave up on trying to salvage the previous attempt, there really was no reworking it. So I pulled out the model kippah, and fiance’s favorite I think. He has had this kippah since July of 1993.

kippah 001
Professionally made 9 inch kippah (made by Weinfeld in NYC)

This kippah has a 6 panel outer shell and a 4 panel inner shell. I created a tissue paper pattern of an inner shell panel. From this pattern I created a 4 panel inner shell out of simple muslin as well as a 4 panel outer shell made from ivory satin with a light iron on interfacing. I followed what I have learned in my previous attempts, sew top to bottom (narrow end to wide end), iron seams open as you go, and leave an opening in the lining so the kippah can be turned right side out.

And look how this one turned out!

Measurements of the 3 kippahs

I am, of course, not completely happy with the 4 panel version. I think the 4 panels are nice for the inner shell, but I really want the 6 panel for the outer shell. I am going to try my hand at making another tissue pattern, but that is a story for another day.