With the Watch City Festival happening this weekend, I decided I should start posting my first attempts at Steampunk.
I think that my outfit at least came out more Neo Victorian than anything, having no idea what Steampunk was at the time I made the outfit. I also made my little top hat, probably my favorite piece of the whole outfit.
My fiance’s outfit is a refurbished Civil War reenactors coat that I added red piping to, along with random awards and merits etc. I made the medals myself (rather simple thing to do but they make a huge impact)
Medal making materials:
- Fancy Charm or Ornament
- Gros Grain Ribbon (1 inch width)
- Jewelery Ring (the kind you can pry open)
- Button Back Pin (the kind with a flat side)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Attach your charm/ornament to the jewelery ring
- Determine how log you want the charm to sit on the ribbon (ie the length of the ribbon) The ones I made were about an inch and a half, so I cut 3 inch strips for the medals
- String the ribbon thru the ring so the ring sits in the middle of the ribbon strip
- Sew or hot glue the edges of the ribbon so they overlap a quarter of an inch forming a ribbon loop that the ring and charm are now on.
- Fold the ribbon so that the seam is at the top, hot glue the ribbon seam to the pin backing. Allow to cool and dry.
- Ta Da! You have a self-made medal!
(Step by Step pictures of medal making to come)